Thursday, July 21, 2011

Dairy Slabs and Where to Find Them


Since my last post on kitchen vignettes, I've received a few emails asking where I found my "pure butter" and "cheese" slabs.
Truth is, I've collected them over the years. Always on the hunt for one, they can be found in antique or home decor stores and sometimes on ebay.

I fell in love with these butter slabs years ago and started hunting for them. I would notice them in magazines when they started showing up in featured kitchens like this one, but never a mention about them. What were they called?

I typed in the words "butter slab" on ebay one time and found one! I ended up finding a couple more, like the cheese slab beside my stove, holding oils and vinegars, etc.

Originally, they were used to display dairy products in English grocers over a century ago. Original slabs are rare and expensive. All of mine are reproductions. My latest "pure lard" acquisition is from ABC Carpet and Home on my trip to NYC in March. It is a reproduction of an original made by Parnall and Sons.

I found this one at Sonoma Country Antiques. It is a reproduction of an original by Dairy Supply Co. from England.

There is an online source for these slabs: Joanne Hudson, Ltd.
I discovered this store from Joni's recommendation at Cote de Texas.

Founded in 1985, Joanne Hudson is the leading kitchen and bath design firm on the east coast.
They eventually launched Joanne Hudson Basics, an online store representing their collection of kitchen accessories.

Like this "pure butter" slab which retails for $139.99

I love these slabs not only for their beauty, but for their functionality too. The presentation of cheese and fruit above looks even more special on a "cheese" slab. It retails for $119.99.

My small cheese slab was perfect for the raspberry tart I served for Valentine's Day!

Joanne Hudson Basics also sells Emma Bridgewater's line of dinnerware called Toast & Marmalade, some of which is displayed in this fabulous pantry designed by none other than Joanne Hudson!

Toast & Marmalade is fun and whimsical porcelain dinnerware that I am crazy about, all made in England.
Uh oh, I feel a tablescape coming on....

Is it possible to have too much of this porcelain? I don't think so!

I'm joining Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday.
I'm also joining Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More