Friday, August 5, 2011

Confit Pots. You Can't Have Just One!


No, this isn't a new confit pot!
Just the same one that I carried back from Houston last year.

It has had a lot of exposure on this blog, always ready for a still life photo, or serving as a vase for a tablescape.

I would love to add more confit pots to my collection, but they are so darned expensive!

Technically, I don't have a collection. A collection is defined as three or more.
I only have two. This large confit pot...

...and this little one, which was the first one I bought, several years ago.

The confit pot behind the majolica jug is a reproduction from Pottery Barn last year, so it doesn't count.
Still, I like this grouping, the way the pots all relate to one another.

This confit pot belongs to Terri of La Dolfina, from the photo shoot we did for Rough Linen last year, here.

I just love this vignette of pots a confit in the windowsill of my friend Lisa's kitchen.
This is what I'm aiming for. A grouping like this, especially for the Tuscan Style photo shoot coming up!

These pots are meant to be grouped together!

So, I'm shopping on Ebay and other online antique sites, and am frequenting my favorite antique stores. Also, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I find that special one at the flea market Sunday.
You know, the one that is reasonably priced without being too badly damaged!

Here is a close-up of a beauty I found on Ebay. It's 150 years old and is actually very well priced at $279.50.
Not bad, considering the green pot above was over $900!

Why are they so expensive? Mostly because they are all one of a kind, over 100 years old, and somewhat picked over by now because of their ever increasing popularity. Originally used in the South of France for the preservation of meat like duck and goose, the bottoms were left unglazed and buried in the ground to keep the meat cool.

Confit pots. There is no way you can have just one!


Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More