Monday, March 14, 2011

Tuesday Inspiration: Shingle Style


Coastal Living
I've always been a sucker for a shingled house! In fact, I'm pretty sure our 1906 house started out as a shingled house and was "updated" in the 50's with stucco.

Cottage Living
Shingle Style can be cottage.

Elle Decor
Shingle Style can be farmhouse.

Or a combination of both.

Shingle Style became popular in New England in the late 1800's. They were vacation homes for the wealthy. People are still in love with them today for their casual elegance.
You can find them just about anywhere. On the coast, in a vineyard, in the mountains, or on city streets, like in my community.

One of my favorite architects, Robert A. M. Stern specializes in Shingle Style.
This is an example of one of his homes.

A similar home, also designed by Robert A. M. Stern.
I love the kitchen potager in the front entrance.

A pool house designed by architect David Neff. Notice the gambrel roof on this house, as well as the two previous Stern houses.

Another gambrel roof Shingle Style, vintage home.
Oh, be still my heart!

Architects rebelled against the elaborate Victorian foo-fooness when they began designing Shingle Style houses around 1874.
They usually have covered porches, irregular rooflines, and of course shingles, all suggesting a more relaxed, informal style of living.

I plan to feature a few of my favorite shingled houses that are in my community, so be sure to check back at the end of the week.


Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More