Sunday, April 4, 2010

Adventures in Houston


Back home from Texas, I'm already reminiscing about the trip. Here are a few highlights.

The first thing we did when we arrived in Houston on Tuesday was pick up our car. We rented the largest car possible: a Suburban....

....just for our luggage! None of us packed light. I also was the designated driver--the only one brave enough to drive in a new city. We decided to forgo the GPS since I have such an advanced sense of direction. haha!
Big mistake!

Here is Maureen ready for the adventure!

After our day at Round Top, we had three full days in Houston to explore antique stores, restaurants and boutiques.
Leslie Sinclair of Segreto Finishes was so nice to write an itinerary for us of all her favorite places to shop and eat. So we set off to explore everything on her list.

Here's Teresa and I posing in front of Indulge, a darling home decor boutique. It was conveniently located next door to Tiny Boxwoods, a fabulous place for lunch where we dined outside.

We also found this great antique store called Antiques on Dunlavy. We loved nearly everything in here, including this coffee table with a map of Paris and these wing back chairs upholstered in ticking and grain sacks.

I'm loving this linen upholstered chaise with the rosette tufting.

A fabulous booth chock full of eye candy.

How gorgeous is this vignette?

Another store on Leslie's List was Brown. Joni Webb of Cote de Texas did a post on Brown, so I was anxious to visit. I wasn't disappointed. The owner of the store, Jill Brown calls herself a "thing finder" and I believe it. Lighting seems to be the focus here, but also home decor items and antiques.

For sure, everything in this store is unique and beautiful.

Ahhhh, Joyce Horn Antiques. Touted as Houston's finest antique store, and I can see why.
Leslie insisted we go here as it is her favorite store. She is also responsible for all the wall finishes in the store.
I almost had a coronary over this drop leaf oval table with green trestle legs. It could seat at least 14 people!

Another heart stopper is this burlap covered settee.

I love how the sun was streaming through the windows here. Great chairs. Great table.

There are so many wonderful mirrors in this store. Here I am, camera and all....

Teresa admiring this group of mirrors. She is a fan of trumeau mirrors like this one.

Another fabulous chaise!

We visited other stores too, like MAI Antiques, Thompson & Hanson Nursery, 2620 Antiques, Charde Silversmith, and Foxglove Interiors. We also ate at Ouisie's Table for lunch one day.
Thank you Leslie for recommending all these great stores and restaurants. You are a great tour guide!

We had a blast in Houston! We found everyone to be so nice and so helpful.
Everyone was happy to give us directions if we got lost. And we did more than a few times!
I felt pretty brave driving, especially on the freeway. When I got home, I read a quote by A.J. Foyt, the famous race car driver who said: "I feel safer on a racetrack than I do on Houston's freeways." Hmmmmm! That makes me feel a whole lot better!

More to follow about our last night in Houston with the "Sinclair Sisters!"

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More