Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Fringe Benefits


I've had sofa angst ever since I had the living room sofa reupholstered two years ago in green velvet with bullion fringe.
As soon as it came back from the upholsterer, I started doubting my decision and wondering if I made a big mistake.

At the time, I was obsessed with this sofa in the Source Perrier catalog. It is covered in a lovely loden mohair velvet and also fringed. I was told by the upholsterer that bullion fringe is out and nobody does it anymore. But I love bullion fringe!
Instead of mohair, I chose a cotton velvet in a majolica green color, thinking I was getting the look that I loved.

Then, everyone was slipcovering in linen. You know, the Belgian look. I felt my look was too heavy. So, I lightened up by taking out the rugs and replacing with seagrass. That helped.

Eventually, I just stopped caring whether the sofa was too heavy, too outdated, or too Christmas like. After all, we rarely use this room, except at Christmas time!

Well, imagine my delight when I got the new Traditional Home in the mail last week, and saw this sofa! I know, it's not quite the same, but it is green velvet and it does have wonderful bullion fringe!

I guess my point is to stay true to what you love. There will always be design trends that come and go.
In fact, a fellow blogger, Kathysue from Good Life of Design and I were discussing this one day. She told me that she felt I did stay true to my look and what I love, and that she liked that about me! A nice compliment....

So now that the Holidays are approaching, I'm glad I didn't slipcover the sofa in linen!

Have you ever had a similar dilemma? Do you stay true to what you love, or are you easily influenced by the latest trends? Being in the blogging world does expose us and influence us more than ever before, don't you think?

Speaking of the Blog World, Vignette Design will be one year old on November 8th!
Stay tuned for a giveaway--straight from Tuscany!

On Friday, I'm joining Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday, and also Artie at Color Outside the Lines for Vignette Friday.
I just discovered a new blog, French Country Cottage, and am joining her Feathered Nest Party!

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More