Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Living Room Color Reveal


I'm joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday.

The living room went from a deep burgundy red to a mellow caramel color last week. I was very ambivalent about getting rid of the red. But it was so dark and only looked good at Christmas and at night with every light on and candle lit.

The living room BEFORE

In progress

Bob, our painter getting rid of the red!

The living room AFTER
It still looks good at night with all the lights on and the candles lit.

As you know, whenever one thing is changed, it is a "can of worms!" I can see a light brown cowhide rug under the coffee table now. Ballard has one here. Should I?

The two chairs in the room also need to be reupholstered. The backs are faded from the sun and the mauve (I hate that color and name) needs to go.






Up for consideration for the chair fabric is this cotton tan and cream ticking stripe. Especially if I decide to slipcover the sofa in linen.






Or, this paisley fabric that picks up the colors in the linen drapes and walls. It would go with the green velvet sofa if I decide to leave it alone.

I'm leaning toward this tried and true heavy woven cotton from India in a cream and green ticking stripe. I think it would go with the green sofa, should I decide to keep it, and also with the sofa if I should slipcover it.

The sofa. I have always regretted my decision to cover it in this color and should have trusted my gut and covered it in apple green. However, these days, I'm dreaming of slipcovering it in a wonderful textured linen. Restoration Hardware has a lovely sofa that I'm in love with, but I think I can remake this one to resemble theirs. It would need new back cushions, instead of the structured ones.

More after pictures of the living room

This picture really shows the paint color.

The color: Benjamin Moore's "Richmond Gold"

Looking from the entry into the living room.

And from the living room, through the entry and beyond into the dining room.

I welcome any thoughts about the fabrics for the chairs, as well as your ideas. This room is a work in progress. My goal is to tone it down, but still keep color in my life. I know lampshades and accessories need to be changed out.

Please visit Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for more before and after projects on Metamorphosis Monday.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More