Friday, January 1, 2010

Antiquing on New Year's Day in the Wine Country


It was a dreary, rainy day in the wine country today. All the stores were closed, except the three antique collectives in Healdsburg. It just felt like the right thing to do - hunting and gathering. We started out with an old fashioned breakfast at a local diner, then on to exploring every nook and cranny at "Healdsburg Classics".

As soon as we walked in the door, we saw Mike, the owner. He is always good for a story or two. I love his Irish brogue.
The inside is enormous and filled with collectibles, antiques and just plain junk. But one man's junk is another man's treasure!

I especially loved these weathered columns. I passed them up though, but found a wonderful hanging lantern and eight dinner plates from the same dealer.

I love this crystal sconce.

On the way out, I admired this lovely old fountain. Wish I had a place for it.

Across the street is the Antique Harvest Antique Collective.

It was much warmer in here, thanks to this wonderful pot belly stove.

A little chicken wire cage filled with herbs from Ron Morgan Antiques. He has a space in this collective and is well known around the Bay Area.


He even has his own book!

Down the street is Myra Hoefer Design, a very upscale shop specializing in French antiques. Unfortunately, it was closed. Myra is the wife of Wade Hoefer, a very talented artist.

I'm crazy for these Anduze pots and have tried to buy them from her, but they're not for sale! The painting on the burlap chair is an original buy Wade.

Inside the store.

Over to Mill Street Antiques. It's more like a garage sale in here. Although, we have found some wonderful treasures here. Like a matching pair of cement columns we now have sitting outside our living room in Asti.

On our way back home we passed by lots of vineyards. The fog on the hills was so moody, I had to stop and take a picture.

This old sign is so retro!

Back home, we admired our finds. I bought these plates--perfect in the wine country with the grape pattern. As if I need another plate!

This lantern may go in our entry at home. Otherwise, I'll have to add it to my "collection" of light fixtures. Another weakness!

What a great way to spend New Year's Day.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More