Thursday, January 21, 2010

Collecting Portuguese Majolica



Above is my very first piece of Bordallo Pinheiro Majolica. This chicken is an example of the pottery made by the 120 year old factory in Portugal.

I have been collecting vintage majolica for years. (More on that later!) So, I found that the pottery from Portugal mixes nicely with the older, vintage European majolica in my collection.

Same chicken, different color! I've even seen this chicken converted to a gorgeous lamp.

The little chicken above is one I found on Ebay.

A cute chicken tureen.

Another soup tureen with basket detail on the base.

This lovely covered dish is adorned with acorns. I love this piece!

The same piece in green with matching platter.

I'm fairly certain this jardiniere is made in Portugal, but there is no stamp on the bottom.

A perfect little pitcher for holding leftover amaryllis flowers.

Most of us have seen this plate. The green cabbage leaf charger which can be found at discount stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Sur la Table also has carried this.
I have too many to tell of these charger plates! They come in handy as buffet plates. Most of my friends have these also, and we have been known to combine them for large parties.

As if the green plates weren't enough, I had to have them in red too! Perfect for Christmas.

Matching red cake stand to go with.


Purple? Of course! Perfect for Easter!

I also have way too many of these salad plates. They seem to go with everything, as I love to mix and match dishes when creating table settings.

Another fun salad plate in the form of a grape leaf with red and yellow edging.

A lovely salad plate with basket weave detailing.

I only have one of these plates. I believe it is a reproduction of a classic lily pattern made in Germany at the turn of the century by Villeroy & Boch.

A drawer full of platters, bowls and serving pieces. To be honest, I collect these pieces because they are not only colorful, but very reasonable. All of the above were purchased at TJ Maxx or Marshalls at one time or another! For some reason, they just make my heart skip a beat!

All of the pieces shown above come with this stamp representing the factory where they are currently being made today in the town of Caldas da Rainha

This is an older bowl found at an estate sale. The stamp on the back is engraved.


This little ceramic deer is a work of art. He is extremely delicate; almost like a Lladro with the paper thin flowers on the base. I found him on Ebay from a dealer in Portugal.

Can you see the stamp on the back? It has the typical Bordallo Pinheiro stamp engraved, but also has the words: "Arte Bardalo Caldas"

Isn't he just beautiful!

And finally, I couldn't help create a little vignette of candle holders and Narcissus.

I think Caldas da Rainha would be a wonderful city to visit. Not only is it known for the famous factory and museum of Bordallo Pinheiro, but actually, Caldas da Rainha is better known for its sulfuric waters, from which it got its name, which means the Queen's hot springs. Think of it as a spa town!
For information about Caldas da Rainha, click here.


The factory of Faiancas Aristicas Bordallo Pinheiro has a beautiful website. For more information, click here.

I'm joining Suzanne at Privet and Holly for Mrs. Magpie's Collector's Edition.


Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More