Monday, January 25, 2010

Monet's Grande Allee and more.....



Monet's garden at Giverney is such an inspiration to me. I have been there three times, but never in fall or winter. When people think of Monet's garden, they think of the lily pond. But I think of the Grande Allee. Here it is in winter.


Here it is in spring looking toward Monet's house.




In late summer, Nasturtiums trail across the path.


I was so inspired by Monet's garden that I built my own "grande allee" in our backyard and planted Cecile Brunner roses to climb up and over. To create the allee, I used nine arbors and spaced them apart. These Monet like arbors can be purchased at Kinsman Garden Co.


When we bought our vacation home in the wine country, it came with this arbor path. Concord and Thompson seedless grapes climb up and over.


This arbor can be found at Araujo Vineyards in Napa County.


I found a photo of the walkway at the National Gardens in Athens. It reminds me of our Sonoma style arbor. Another garden to put on my list to visit!

If you ever get a chance to visit Giverny, you won't be disappointed. For more information about Giverny and Monet's home and garden, click here.

For information on the National Gardens in Athens, Greece, click here.

I'm linking up to Susan at A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday. Be sure to visit and see other outdoor photography and inspiration.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More