Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Family Room Sources and a Reality Check

I've received a few emails and comments asking where I bought my family room furniture.
The sofa and loveseat came from Crate and Barrel. This is the stock version, available for immediate delivery.

My inspiration for this style was from this photo in House Beautiful of a house in Napa.
I like the one, long bench seat cushion and the fluffy back cushions. Even the ticking stripe was a consideration.

So when we visited the Crate and Barrel showroom floor, and I saw the floor model, I asked if it could be customized to my specifications. No problem, they said.

I found the 100% linen and had it shipped to the manufacturer. I also changed the nailheads from silver to dark bronze. Then we waited four months for delivery!

I ordered the seagrass rug from Home Decorator's catalog.
The wool kilim is a Pottery Barn rug that I found on Ebay.

The wicker trunk is from Williams-Sonoma Home, last year.

The pine sofa table is from Sonoma Country Pine.
The table top accessories, lamps and cement container from One Kings Lane.

This is how I want my family room to look all the time.
Neat and tidy, pillows fluffed, fresh flowers on the table. Photo shoot worthy.
But no. With my son home from college for a month, and other grown kids visiting and spending the night, it does not look like this!

Reality Check!
This is what my sofa looked like this morning! I give up!
I should have ordered the biggest sectional I could find, and upholstered in teflon!

The reality is that life is messy. Kids and dogs are messy.
I'm reminded of my favorite quote by Albert Hadley:
"Make your home as attractive and comfortable as possible and then get on with living. There's more to life than decorating."

Sometimes "the home within us" isn't in sync with the home we live in!
Is your home photo-shoot worthy at all times?

I'm joining Kim from Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays.
My reality check family room is sure to wow everyone, I'm sure!

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More