Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Christmas Tablescape of Paisley, Tartan and Leopard!


I know, I know, Saturday night seems like a silly time to post about a tablescape!
Hey, am I too late, or too early to link up to Susan at BNOP for Tablescape Thursday!?

I actually created this Christmas table last week for a contest.
The Adventures of Tartanscot is the host, and there are three categories for submission.
The Christmas mantel, the Christmas tree and the Christmas tablescape/dining room. Of course, I entered all three categories!

It all began last Sunday when Mr. A and I went to the big flea market in Alameda. It was raining, and most of the dealers were packing up, when I spotted a piece of fabric on a table with lots of vintage linens.
It was a wool paisley remnant. Then, I found another one! The dealer was in the mood to negotiate, so I bought them both.

I now had a foundation from which to build my tablescape. After a spin in the dryer with some Febreze, I put the two remnants on the table and joined them in the middle.

I was able to marry three of my favorite patterns: paisley, tartan plaid and leopard!

The red and green colors in the paisley work beautifully with the tartan plaid dishes--a recent purchase from Target! The majolica plate is vintage German majolica.

Crystal wine hocks make their debut. A recent acquisition, passed down to us from Mr. A's Mother!

My Mother-in-law's victorian urn takes center stage as the centerpiece. Talk about drama!

The dining room hutch is once again decked out for the holidays with red and white transferware and paperwhites.

It's not too late to enter the contest!
Just send in your photos to Tartanscotcontest@gmail.com
To see the rules, click here.

This tablescape is about to morph into my table for Book Club on Tuesday night.
I will keep the tablecloth because I love it so much, ditch the centerpiece for something to do with books, and hopefully come up with the perfect plates! Stay tuned!

Chargers and tartan plates: Target
Salad/dessert plates: Vintage German majolica
Crystal wine hocks and centerpiece: Mrs. A
Antler knives: Vintage
Silverplate flatware: Vintage
Needlepoint leopard placemats: Ralph Lauren
Tablecloth: Vintage wool challis paisley
Paisley napkins: French flea market
Ivy reindeer, topiaries, cypress trees and paperwhites: Nurseryman's Exchange
Fir greens on table: from the local Christmas tree lot!

I'll be joining The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays,
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday,
and Sherry at No Minimalist Here for Share the Decor.


Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More