Monday, February 15, 2010

The Winter Bed



Welcome to the inner sanctum--our bedroom!

Upon entering the bedroom, it is apparent that this is a large room. Too large, in fact.
I tried cozying it up with coffee colored walls and rich fabrics.

The bed dressed for winter, wearing wool plaid, houndstooth, velvet and leopard. I chose both masculine and feminine fabrics for this room, and I designed the Eastern King velvet sleigh bed. I think it is actually bigger than our Prius in the driveway! But this room can take it and it is what was needed to fill the room.

All the linens on the bed as well as the carpeting are Ralph Lauren.
I've had fun mixing and layering the fabrics.
To me, that is what makes a bed inviting.
For spring and summer, the wool blanket and shams will be replaced with matelasse.

If we spend a third of our life in bed, don't you think we should have the highest thread count sheets, the loftiest down duvets and the best mattress we can afford?

Often times, the bedroom is the last room in the house to be decorated.
It should be the first! It is our sanctuary and we should feel pampered when we are there.

This matelasse chaise in the corner is my quiet place to curl up with a throw and read. I love how the windows look out to our redwood tree.

My side of the bed with family photos and books. Lots of books.
Notice Anna Karenina on the table.....I only have 700 pages to go!

This side of the bed never looks like this! It is usually piled with books, newspapers and fishing magazines!

There is a deck outside with another place to read in the summer or have a morning cup of coffee.

The soaking tub is another luxury I can't do without.
The chair was a flea market find that I reupholstered in this brown and cream check.
The faux bamboo cabinet is antique.

This wooden tray with reproduction barbolla mirror and of course a honey pot candle creates a pampered experience in the bath. Just add bubbles.......

Don't forget to pamper yourself with stacks of fluffy towels either!

The shower.

The bed again.
Hmmm, feeling sleepy?


I love linens and enjoy changing the look often in our bedroom. This could be an expensive hobby! However, everything either came from TJ Maxx or Marshalls. Ebay is another source for discounted duvet covers, blankets and sheets. I look for the highest thread count and rarely pay more than $40 for a set of king size sheets. Full retail is not in my vocabulary!

I'm joining The Gypsy's Corner for Three or More Tuesdays because I have three pillow shams on that bed!

I'm also linking up the The Little Red House for Mosaic Monday

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More