Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Design Bucket List #1 - Remodel an Airstream!


Number one on my design bucket list is to decorate the inside of a travel trailer, preferably an Airstream.

Airstreams have been around since the 30's and have recently seen an increase in popularity. Movie stars and designers have snatched up these vintage trailers and turned them in to works of art. Ralph Lauren acquired 4 vintage Airstreams from the 60's, decorated them and auctioned them off to benefit his Polo Ralph Lauren Foundation.

Each of the four trailers had its own theme. This is the "Nautical" trailer with mahogony paneling and an all American decor.

This is the inside of the "Western" Airstream.

The third Airstream is called the "Utility/Surplus," a nod to post WW2.

The last one, and my personal favorite of the four trailers is the "Adirondack." It's like a traveling hunting lodge, which would be great if you are a hunter or fisherman.
As you can see, we're not talking about "trailer trash" here! These vintage, one of a kind Airstreams were $150,000 each!

Mackenzie-Childs also decorated an Airstream. It was available for $195,000 in the 1996 Neiman-Marcus Christmas catalog.

While the inside was just a tiny bit overdone for my taste, it piqued an interest that I have had since to remodel an Airstream or travel trailer.

I found this photo of a Ralph Lauren inspired Airstream. Sorry, I can't remember where it came from, but it is also a favorite. I actually have those blankets, so am off to a good start!

Then there is the tartan caravan!
The husband and wife team of Scotland's ANTA lined the walls of their camper with their own ANTA tartan fabric and took it to a textile trade show where they displayed their fabrics and wares.

There are a few books available about Airstreams. One is Airstream Living by Bruce Littlefield. The quintessential coffee table book that you won't be able to put down.

Airstream, The History of the Land Yacht is filled with vintage photos. A must for the Airstream lover.

I grew up camping. First in tents, until my parents bought a tiny camper. Eventually, they purchased a travel trailer. I still remember wanting to redecorate the interior as a kid. It had ugly brown Herculon fabric upholstery, paneling and hideous curtains! I wondered why couldn't the inside be aesthetically pleasing and beautiful? Why did the manufacturers pick such tacky interiors?

On my bucket list of life, I would love to travel across the United States with Mr. A and the dog and see this country--hopefully in an Airstream! Hopefully in an Airstream that I got to decorate first!

I'm joining Susan at A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday.


Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More