Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tuesday Inspiration: Dramatic Black Decor


House Beautiful
We have all heard the saying, "Every room needs a touch of black!"

For Tuesday Inspiration, I'm exploring black as the focal point, not just an accent color.
Typically used for front doors, black has made its way into homes, creating dramatic, sexy rooms like above, designed by Brandon Barre.

Just like that little black dress in your closet, black has always been in style.
The inglenook above is even more dramatic painted black. This is truly one of my favorite rooms!

lonny
"Without black, no color has any depth....

Tommy Smythe
"But if you mix black with everything, suddenly there's shadow...

"no not just shadow, but fullness....

DecorPad
"You've got to be willing to mix black into your palette, if you want to create something that's real."
A great quote from of all people, Amy Grant! I don't think I could have said it better!

Wow! Miles Redd painted his New York City apartment high gloss black. Talk about drama!

'Catalano
Houzz
Designer Kerrie Kelly wallpapered her den bathroom with black grass cloth.

This bathroom is amazing with the washed black front on the bathtub.
I like how it adds a little rustic to the sleek tile and marble.

One of my favorite decorating ideas for a huge, expansive wall, is to frame out a portion of it and paint it black. Add art in the middle, and voila, the wall is more manageable and dramatic too.

I'm not sure if the walls are truly black here.
It isn't easy finding true black, because usually there is a lot of blue in black paint.

I know this because it took three tries to get it right when I painted my kitchen island.
I used Benjamin Moore paint, and selected colors off the color wheel like "Nightfall" and "Graphite."
But in the end, it was simply stock black paint that did the trick!

I used the same paint on the family room mantle, previously yellowed pine.

I'll admit that black has been on my mind lately, ever since #1 daughter retiled her bathroom floor in this wonderful black marble hexagon tile. I'm planning on using the same tile when I redo my downstairs bathroom.

We all know black goes with everything. It especially makes colors like pink or orange zing, as opposed to browns and earthy colors.

I like it with hot pink!

I like it with turquoise!

I like it with white!

Do you believe every room needs a touch of it?
Are you brave enough to paint an entire wall or room black?

Think about what Renoir said: "I've been 40 years discovering that the queen of all colors was black."

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More