Monday, June 7, 2010

The Evolution of Our Kitchen


Our kitchen has gone through a couple of mini remodels since we bought the house eleven years ago.

In 2001, we replaced the tile countertops with this granite. It was honed St. Cecelia. Eventually, I realized that I wanted polished, so now it's kind of polished, but not quite!

I could never figure out why the previous owners didn't center this cooktop! It has bugged me forever! I ended up creating this backsplash without a center focus, so as not to attract attention to the stove's placement. I fantasize about ripping it all out and putting the largest commercial range possible here!

The little cabinet on the wall used to be pine. I recently painted it white.

The island was also pine and I painted it black. Why you ask? Because the pine was dated (circa 1989) and really beat up.

When the countertops were replaced, I had this farmhouse sink installed. I still love it!

At the time I painted the cabinets, I also replaced the double ovens and dishwasher with stainless steel. The old appliances were at the end of their life, and I love stainless!
I replaced the panels on the refrigerator with stainless too.

The family room is just off the kitchen. My kids keep trying to talk me into getting a sectional sofa! But, they don't live here anymore, so I'm sticking to this traditional arrangement!

Notice the Charles Faudree book on the coffee table. I have to say he is my biggest influence when it comes to how I decorated this space.

The fireplace also used to be pine with embellishments. I took off the "gingerbread," sanded it and painted it black to tie in with the kitchen island.

This photo shows how it opens up to the eating area and the backyard.

Our casual dining area. When we bought the house, there was a flush mount light on the ceiling. I couldn't wait to hang a proper chandelier. I also hung my collection of majolica plates above the window.

So there you have the evolution of our kitchen! We plan on selling this house in a couple of years so it doesn't make sense to do any thing more. But! If we stayed here forever.....I would definitely replace the countertops! I just love Carrera marble! Next house.....

I'm linking up to Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday. Also to Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday.
Thanks ladies for hosting!

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More