Monday, June 28, 2010

Giethoorn, Venice of the Netherlands


This is a village in Holland where you won't find a single road.

All transportation is by boats along the canals.

It's called Giethoorn, located in the Dutch provence of Overijssel. The old part of the village has remained the same with canals and footbridges, although there is now a cycling path.

It has been called "Little Venice," or the Venice of Holland. It truly is a fantasy-like place.

These cottages and farmhouses are so beautiful with their thatched roofs and gorgeous gardens. This is classic 18th and 19th century Dutch village architecture.



I and can only imagine what it must look like inside these quaint and charming homes.

Wouldn't it be fun to rent one for a week?

How gorgeous is this!

I am definitely putting Giethoorn on my list of places to visit before I die!

To learn more about Giethoorn, visit this online travel guide here!

I'm linking up to Susan at A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday.
I'm also linking up to Watery Wednesday.
Thanks Ladies for hosting!

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More